Taking good care of our body should be a must and that means, every part of our body. Unfortunately, we often tend to neglect other parts by looking after the most superficial aspects of our physical appearance.
In addition to that, our environment can be quite a nasty place to live in – with the amount of garbage, dirty water, contaminated air, and all sorts of other pollution – that we are constantly being exposed to all day, everyday.
It may all seem too much to accept, but is in fact, true. We just don’t realize it. Until it hits us in the face, or in this case, our toes.
Toenail fungus, sometimes referred by many as toe fungus or foot fungus, is medically termed as onychomycosis, a fungal infection of either the fingernails or toenails.
So what causes toenail fungus? Toe nail fungus is an easily treatable infection caused by conditions such as continuous exposure to moist and damp environment due to sweaty socks and shoes, lack of proper hygiene, abnormal pH levels of the skin, weakened immune system, and a medical condition known as diabetes.
The bad news about toenail fungus is the way on how it looks extremely unpleasant as can be seen in toenail fungus pictures on books or online. Generally it can lead to the toenail changing in color (yellow toenails), becoming thicker, cracking and splitting, while in some cases it can even lead to the toenail completely dropping off.
But the good news is just around the corner. Considering the fact that toenail fungus is a very common problem, it is also easily and inexpensively curable. Below is a detailed discussion about some easy-to-do toe nail fungus treatment options you may be interested to learn.
But before that, let’s first talk about another important thing a little more in depth.
Assuming you’re looking for toenail fungus cure you can do on your own, it’s important to understand that it’s not all about treating the problem in hand, but also looking out to avoid in the future possible recurrence by regularly incorporating healthy and hygienic practices to keep your toenails fungus-free.
Getting back, below are some affordable and easy ways on how to get rid of toenail fungus.
Best Toenail Fungus Treatment Methods
A natural home remedy for toenail fungus can be a very cost-effective path to take. In this post, we’ll learn how to treat toenail fungus naturally. Below are 10 best simple, yet effective natural home remedies for toenail fungus that you can follow in order to cure the infection soon enough.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil nail fungus treatment option has been one of the most commonly sought methods. The chemicals in tea tree oil are known to kill bacteria and fungus, and also reduce allergic skin reactions. Tea tree oil for toenail fungus is considerably a very effective means to get rid of the problem.
– Apply 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil to the infected toenail three times daily.
2. Oil of Oregano
The oil is used for toe fungus treatment because it contains a concentrated quality of oregano’s fungicidal properties for combating fungal infections which makes it a very effective toenail fungus medication.
– Apply 2 drops of the oil on the affected toenails and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then rinse it off and dry your toes thoroughly.
The mixture of garlic oil with an equal amount of white vinegar slows down fungal activities because of the anti-fungal properties present in garlic.
– Apply the mixture to the affected area and cover the toe with an elastic bandage. Also, eating a clove of garlic on a daily basis helps a lot too.
4. Orange Oil
Orange oil can also serve as your toenail fungus medicine for it has natural anti-fungal properties. It can be applied on a daily basis to the toenails to cure the infection.
– Apply the oil with the help of a dropper between toes and on and under toenails, daily. Let it soak for at least an hour.
5. Listerine Mouthwash
Nobody could ever imagine that the popular mouthwash, Listerine could be useful as one of the best toenail fungus treatment options, and it seems to be true. What to do? How to cure toenail fungus with Listerine?
– Soak the affected foot in a solution of equal parts Listerine and equal parts white vinegar for about 30 minutes, and then scrub the infected toenails gently. Rinse it off and repeat the process once or twice daily.
6. Baking Soda
Being used as a toe fungus cure and treatment option is one of the many and most effective uses of baking soda. It also keeps the damaging fungus from returning.
– Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of baking soda in a container and soak your feet in it for 15 minutes. Repeat this process several times a day.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is believed to be somewhat a miracle cure in the treatment of nail fungus. It possesses a number of unique characteristics and properties making it an effective health remedy.
– Cleanse the affected area, apply the oil to the toes and massage into the nail. Repeat this process twice a day.
8. White Vinegar
It is one of the best toenail fungus home remedies. The acidity of white vinegar helps relieve the itching and repair the pH balance, which is significant to combat the fungi, the microorganism that is responsible for the development of toenail fungus.
– File your thick toenails gently and then apply white vinegar on them. Do this once or two times daily.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
The apple cider vinegar is actually acidic. This makes it more and more difficult for the fungus to be able to survive. It is considered to be the most effective and best toenail fungus treatment.
– (Externally) Cut and file the infected toenails. Then soak your toes in apple cider vinegar at least twice a day.
– (Internally) Mix together in a container and refrigerate 2 teaspoons of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with 16 ounces of water. And drink that tonic couple of times a day.
10. Vicks VapoRub
The thyme in VapoRub can in fact cure toenail fungus.
– At bedtime, apply a small amount to the infected toenails. Be sure that the toes are dry before applying the Vicks to avoid sealing moisture in under the rub.
- READ MORE